Vegan Del Rey

I live in beautiful Playa Del Rey, California. I love the warm weather, the beaches, and the fact that my parents live close to my home. I enjoy spending my free time with my family and my partner who samples all my vegan and non-vegan cooking. My loved ones are all picky eaters but seem to "gobble up" all that I create. Most of the recipes you see here are not my own, however,I have given credit where it was due. Sit back and enjoy!!!!

Sunday, March 09, 2008

Be My Valentine!!


I know I'm posting these cookies and recipe right in beginning of March but they are so pretty and delicious I would make them every week if I had the patience. Rolled cookies take some practice, but after a few batches you will baking them like a pro. I love the texture of homemade crispy cookies at Christmas but created this especially for my partner for Valentine's Day. We really enjoyed them.... he asked for them again this week. The flavor of the jam could be replaced, however, I would recommend preserves and not jelly. I veganized this recipe from here.


Valentine Heart Sandwich Cookies
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup margarine (1 1/2 sticks)
1 cup seedless raspberry preserves (heated in microwave until melted and syrupy)
confectioners' sugar for dusting (optional)

In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, vanilla extract, and salt. With pastry blender or two knives used scissor-fashion, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle 4 to 5 tablespoons cold water, 1 tablespoon at time, into flour mixture, mixing lightly with a fork after each addition until dough is just moist enough to hold together. Shape dough into a ball; wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour or until firm enough to roll. (Or, place dough in freezer 30 minutes.). Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. On lightly floured surface, with floured rolling pin, roll one-third of dough at a time 1/8 inch thick, keeping remaining dough refrigerated. With floured 3 or 4 inch heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut dough into as many hearts as possible. Place hearts, 1/2 inch apart, on ungreased large cookie sheet. Reserve trimmings. With floured 1 1/2-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out centers from half of stars. Remove cutout centers, and bake along with larger cookies, checking after 7 minutes for doneness. Bake cookies 10 to 12 minutes until lightly browned. With pancake turner, remove cookies to wire racks to cool. Roll remaining dough and trimmings together to make more cookies; bake. When cookies are cool, sprinkle cookies with cutout centers with confectioners' sugar. Spread each cookie without cutout center with 1 rounded teaspoon raspberry preserves. Top each with a cookie with a cutout center, gently pressing cookies together to form a sandwich. Store in tightly covered container. To make open face jam covered cookies, place one teaspoon raspberry jam on solid heart cookie and with a small paint brush or spatula pull jam out to cover entire top.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

YUMMY! These lam filled cookes are my FAVORITE!

5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home