Vegan Del Rey

I live in beautiful Playa Del Rey, California. I love the warm weather, the beaches, and the fact that my parents live close to my home. I enjoy spending my free time with my family and my partner who samples all my vegan and non-vegan cooking. My loved ones are all picky eaters but seem to "gobble up" all that I create. Most of the recipes you see here are not my own, however,I have given credit where it was due. Sit back and enjoy!!!!

Saturday, March 08, 2008

Vegan "SpaghettiOs"



I was visiting several vegan blogs in quest of a vegan version of the famous Campbell's Spaghettios and created something pretty darn close. Don't they even resemble the ones on the Campbell's label?? The good news is that it is very easy and inexpensive to make and VEGAN!! The not so good news is that it is made with commercially made ingredients so it might not be the healthiest. However it is a quick lunch on those cold days when you are need of some comfort food, reminiscent of your childhood past.


Vegan "SpaghettiOs" (my way)

1/2 pound of "O" shaped pasta (I found mine at Trader Joe's, as pictured)
10 3/4 ounce Campbell's tomato soup (this exact brand is essential since they were the creators of the original "SpaghettiOs". Note: "tomato bisque" flavor is NOT vegan)
2 tablespoons of margarine
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1/4 soy milk
1 vegan frankfurter, sliced (optional)

Cook pasta according to instructions and drain, but do NOT rinse!! I prefer my pasta al dente but if you are aiming to replicate the texture of the original version, cook until soft. Melt margarine in the same saucepan and add drained pasta. Add the rest of the ingredients and add more soy milk if it looks too dry. Turn down to very low heat and cover. You want someof the sauce to absorb into the pasta. Enjoy!!
Note: For some odd reason this brand or shape of pasta took sooo long to cook even on a rapid boil. The pasta also expanded tremendously!!! I would recommend only making only a small amount at a time because the leftovers did not taste very good. They were gummy and pastey.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home