Vegan Del Rey

I live in beautiful Playa Del Rey, California. I love the warm weather, the beaches, and the fact that my parents live close to my home. I enjoy spending my free time with my family and my partner who samples all my vegan and non-vegan cooking. My loved ones are all picky eaters but seem to "gobble up" all that I create. Most of the recipes you see here are not my own, however,I have given credit where it was due. Sit back and enjoy!!!!

Sunday, April 15, 2007

"The Uncheese Cookbook" by Joanne Stepaniak

"The Uncheese Cookbook" is also one of my favorite vegan cookbooks. The author is a culinary "genius" when it comes to simulating one of the most cholesterol and fat laden commercially made products available. Although these recipes may not exactly taste like cheese, they are great accompaniments to meals and makes excellent sandwich fillings as well. Most of the ingredients are "easy to find" with the exception of nutritional yeast and agar. Nutritional yeast can be found in health food stores or places such as "Whole Foods" supermarkets. There is no substitute for nutritional yeast (not to be confused with brewer's yeast). It adds flavor and nutrients. Agar can be found in the aforementioned places and Asian markets as well. Agar has no flavor and can be replaced with arrowroot or cornstarch in recipes although it will change the texture of the end product. You will have more of a sauce like consistency rather than a solid.

My favorite recipe in this book is the Colby Cheeze. I use the arrowroot instead of agar and it makes a great sauce for "macaroni and cheese". I also love the Tofu Ricotta and Cold Cheeze Dip. I find that some of the recipes that are bean/legume based, tend to taste more like hummus. I have a preference for the ones that are mostly made of tofu. I would also recommend decreasing the amount of nutritional yeast in most of the recipes. I would highly recommend this cookbook to anyone who is either vegan, allergic to dairy, or someone who just loves food.

2 Comments:

Blogger K said...

I love thsi cookbook too! My favorite.

6:54 AM  
Blogger LucyDelRey said...

Many of her recipes require agar which can be very expensive. I purchase it in bulk in a powdered form. I think that it can be omitted in the recipes although the texture will be different. Agar is necessary however for the block cheeses. I will buy the author's other books too. Welcome to my blog, Karen.

5:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home